Bluehost Upgrade & Web Coach

I spoke today with Ian Watson, Bluehost’s new “Web Coach” for my account (https://JoelMonty.net).

Thanks to our conversation and his legwork on the other end, all of my sites on Bluehost are now on a new (and more robust) server, under a single IP address for JoelMonty.net.

This is supposed to be a significant upgrade in the responsiveness of my websites and your ability to access them.  The transition between servers is probably complete by now, though I haven’t received an email yet confirming that.  This is the first time I’ve tried to access one of my sites since we made the upgrade (around 2:00PM CDT).

Ian will be working with me in checking how well used my websites are.  My goal this summer is to do two things–eliminate websites that aren’t being used and monetize the sites–it would make sense for the websites to pay for their own upkeep.

Beyond that, my goal for my websites is for them to be of value and to generate residual income to help me be able to do the things I want to do in terms of service, making a contribution–and paying rent, being debt-free, etc.

More about that in another post.

Keeping Websites Up-to-Date

Today has been challenging!  HostGator–one of my hosting services–is implementing a major change in its PHP configuration tomorrow and I need to make sure my websites in my Hostgator Reseller account will continue to work.  As of publication of this post I’m fairly sure they will and am not absolutely positive.

Saturday I spent lots of time getting my websites hosted by BlueHost up-to-date.  All needed the latest WordPress update, then the plugins and themes had to be updated, then I needed to check the website code due to the needs of some additional plugins I needed.

HostGator and BlueHost tech support are phenomenal.  Both helped me when I had technical issues that went beyond my ability to diagnose and fix.  I’m still in the process of getting everything to operate as efficiently as possible and, hopefully, I am coming close.

As part of the process, I looked at how many users I had on the different sites and have already started to eliminate websites that don’t have anyone looking at them.  I need to do a better job in monitoring and interacting with a fewer number of sites so that I can “monetize” them and actually use them to bring in new clients to my workshops and products and to get input so that I can design some new products for real clients.

I discovered tonight, even though everything was up-to-date yesterday, a different plug-in had changed and now I have to go to every site and upgrade that plug-in.  The good news is that I’m still finishing up my sites, so an extra update won’t take too much time.